Search

Showhorse.com Forum · Cutting Horse

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Cutting Conundrums
 Tranquility Acres
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/27/2017 12:15:00 PM reply with quote send message to Tranquility Acres Object to Post   

This particular little helpful tidbit is aimed towards cutting PAINTS. The info presented here may or may not work with all breeds, and I don't proclaim to be an expert, just my observations.

A while back, I was happy to get this particular mare...
www.showhorse.com/horse.aspx?id=672959
I assumed she would be awesome with those top stat numbers. Well she tops out high score at 217. My top scoring mare right now is this one...www.showhorse.com/horse.aspx?id=674689 with a 223. Again, she has one stat bar a quite deviated from the rest, yet still gets a high score. I can assume now that surefootedness is a must for high scoring cutters. But you also remember, I mentioned that EVEN stock stat bars can get you good scored as well. The aforementioned mares have 80's in their stats...however it doesn't always mean anything unless it's where it needs to be. So this little stud comes along...www.showhorse.com/horse.aspx?id=675169
with a high of 230, highest to date. Reaffirming my surefoot conclusion. So while breeding for the stock stats, keep in mind you will want to try to even them out. A lot of deviation in any of them can throw your scores down the drain. Just a little help for anyone starting out in the lower levels of cutting.
 Painters
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/28/2017 4:13:22 PM reply with quote send message to Painters Object to Post

A very interesting observation. I've always felt that there is more to cutting than meets the eye.

How do the other traits look on those three horses (gonna hafta go back for another look.) Feet was one trait that was speculated about from the beginning . . .
 Painters
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/28/2017 4:20:57 PM reply with quote send message to Painters Object to Post

Feet 82 97 113
Score 217 223 230

Hmmm . . .

Any other interesting examples that might prove or disprove either or both of these.

Lol - don't get too good at analysis of traits, it will take some of the suspense out!

Riverbend Farm
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/28/2017 10:18:44 PM reply with quote send message to Riverbend Farm Object to Post

As far as the three "Stock Traits" go, Cow Sense has seemed to be the easiest to get - a lot of sources seem to have relatively decent CS numbers to get you started. Gut feeling suggests to me that because it seems to be easier it may not have as much impact as the harder to get Agility and Surefoot.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Tranquility Acres
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/29/2017 6:56:13 PM reply with quote send message to Tranquility Acres Object to Post

I agree Riverbend,this is my highest CS horse, and she only scored a 215.

www.showhorse.com/horse.aspx?id=675608

While my 230 colt has an 85 in surefoot, and a 78 in CS.

No worries Painters I don't want to be too analytical! Lol. Just a few observations here and there to help people along. wink :) I'm really enjoying my start from the bottom (198 score) to my present high of 230. And of course thanks for the start as Bonfire was my first cutter and foundation for my Western stable.

Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 2:40:28 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

My theory in this is,you need all 3 stock trait bars as even as possible and a few traits from the 3 sets
Bone and feet as even as possible and with a higher score than all other traits on that set(first)
Top line,shoulders and neck with higher scores than all other traits on that set(third)
CS to score the highest,Aggy,second highest and SF very close to the Aggy scores.
The perfect high for Cutting Shows is 14.2
With Paint horses,you don’t need to breed 2 horses 14.3h to get a 14.3 foal,so do not dismiss a foal because it’s 15.1h if it has good all around stats,it could become your next best stud or brood mare in your stables.
The other stat to look for is Temperament
Between 44 and 53,Cutting is a WP event.
AZF
 Arizona Falls QHs
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2017 3:13:45 PM reply with quote send message to Arizona Falls QHs Object to Post

The one thing I can’t figure out in this game is,why are Muscling and Balance traits so different?
If a horse scores 87 in shoulders in Muscling,why is the score in Balance a 36?
Wouldn’t a well balanced horse have nice,muscular shoulders?
So,what I’m saying is,when it comes to look at the top 3 sets of traits,look for high scores on:
Throat latch
Bone
Feet
Top line
Back
Shoulders
Neck
Shoulders are scored in trait sets 2 and 3, make sure one of those scores is double the other one...
Throat latch and Neck,same here and same with Top line and Back...
AZF

Replies in this thread : 6