Search

Showhorse.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Shows High cost Few entries
 Big Sky
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/21/2017 1:04:17 PM reply with quote send message to Big Sky Object to Post   

I know I'm new and have a lot to learn but right now I can only afford to show horses that win because I have too many horses, and I am thinning down.. There seem to be too few stables to support $50. per class per horse what if it was $50. per horse per show thus more horses would be able to enter more classes// Or some agreed on amount that would be the entry fee for the stable that would allow that stable to enter specified number of horses in any or all classes. I think that until there are more stables we need to find a way to increase the number of horses that are shown. $50. per class per horse only benefits the top winner. Some of the GC don't even cover $50. entry fee. The more horses showing the better it will be for breeding. Neither of these ideas are great but I do think that there must be a way to increase entries. There have to be some better suggestions to make showing more affordable.
 GaylanStudio
Family Account Owner

Family Account Owner
12/22/2017 3:40:23 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio Object to Post

I do agree with your concerns as I often have the same issue.

However, under the current situation with SH and its "sister games" regarding updates, your proposal is probably a little too complicated, requiring too many changes here and there. (I suspect some major changes to the show entry component.)

Now, whether this would fly with Admin any better than your solution, I'd suggest perhaps just an overall reduction in fees until there is some improvement in the economy - i.e. more folks coming on board. Perhaps an across the board 50% reduction - $25 per event for most shows.

Bear in mind that payouts would also drop with either idea, unless Admin topped up the pot by essentially subsidizing the entry fees because the payouts are dependent on the entry fees paid in.

Alternatively, or in tandem with fee reduction, perhaps we should consider reducing the number of shows to one cutting and one general show (that would always include halter, EP, and WP) per day.

I'm not sure how this would work either - whether we could get the necessary changes, whether we could get the subsidies, whether it would address the issue, whether the economy would improve. My professional instinct just tells me that a simple change in fees and/or the show schedule is more likely to be doable. These are both things I've thought about for while but until now no one else raised any concerns about the current situation.

On the assumption that the solution will remain in our hands we are left with the prospect of cutting back on the size of our herds. Now I have this little nagging thought that this might not be a bad idea anyway. I don't know about the rest of you but I know I am finding 12 year olds that have never even been named but I hang on to them because . . . well just because (lol).

One other suggestion (related to the above) - and I am just as guilty as anyone else - perhaps we should take a look in our stud barns. Are we holding a bunch of mediocre stallions who never earn their keep in stud fees or show wins and we use them because they are there and it's cheaper. Perhaps we should look to our neighbors who might have a better stud. In general most studs are pretty reasonable these days.

Realistically, how many horse farms keep 10, 20, and more studs? Sure there are some big TB breeding farms that do and a few gazillionaires and the odd national stud in certain regions but most farms I'd bet are a lot smaller than ours (1 stud maybe and 10 mares?). And those big studs only survive because the stallions are being used.

Just food for thought, and discussion. I could be "all wet" on this (lol).

What we need is more commerce! This can be more business transactions between all existing members and, hopefully, especially, more new members who need to buy their first horse.

Basic User

Basic User
12/22/2017 8:45:28 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I like both the idea of cutting the entry fee and cut down to 1 show with all divisions. The only problem there is my impression that all the judge names are just names and it does not matter which name is judging the results are always the same. On SD each judge had differing preferences. SH does not need to be as complicated but with only 1 show each named judge should stress different points so you would have a constantly altering set of winners. I may be wrong but it does seem to hold true for my stock.

If enough people showed at $25 there might be enough entry money to pay out amounts close to the current system.

I wish SH had a retirement set up as SD does. The retirees are out of play but you don't pay for upkeep and they do not count agains your allowed total. It would be a nice way to honor the foundation stock for our stables. It might be pleasing answer for the studs who have been surpassed by their get. I hate getting rid of a horse that has added quality to my line. I can't be the only raving lunatic that gets sentimental about a picture of a horse. These "animals" add enjoyment to our lives and you don't have to pound solid ice out of Fortex buckets and muck out at -20 degrees F.
The more input the better, I hope more players will offer ideas.
 Big Sky
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/22/2017 8:49:20 PM reply with quote send message to Big Sky Object to Post

That last entry was mine. The verbiage took but SH signed me out so shows up as basic user

Replies in this thread : 3