Search

Showhorse.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 0

Author Topic : By the numbers
 GaylanStudio
Family Account Owner

System.__ComObject
1/5/2019 2:30:07 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio Object to Post   

I wrote this to a ShowDog member I have coerced into giving SH another try but I thought it might be useful to other folks who are also less familiar with our game, so . . .

These are user identified guidelines/indicators of how well and in what area a horse might do well. It's along the same line as the SD SOP but a bit more complex.

For a sample horse, what the numbers I use mean:
734.92 1542+36 [12.47 57]15h0 43-58-59 -
734.92 is the halter score
1542 is the Adjusted OAT. +36 is the total adjustment.
12.47 is the StandardDeviation
57 is the Temperament value
15h0 is the height - 15 hands 0 inches
43-48-59 are the "Stock Traits" - "CowSense",Agility,Surefoot
Most of my horses include two additional 4 digit codes that relate to the sire and dam.

The total string of numbers/letters can be extremely valuable as they show on your list of horses when you view your page without having to click on each horse. Some portions indicate halter potential, others refer to EP/WP potential, and some apply to cutting. If you are looking at someone else's horses, clicking on them will reveal that information if it has been applied, just like on SD.

HalterScore obviously indicates Halter potential and depending on the breed should probably be 750 or more. We do have individuals that are in the 770's.

The OAT is the sum of first 18 traits, from "Skin" to "Neck". It does not include Temperament or the StockTraits.

In Halter 100 is ideal with being over or under equally faulty. Thus if there is a trait within this group that is, say 103, we adjust this when we calculate the Adjusted OAT (103-6=97) and the +36 is the sum of the adjustments. Adding the 36 to the adjusted OAT gives the "raw" OAT which is the sum of those traits without any adjustment. OAT is a more general indicator of both Halter and EP/WP potential.

StandDeviation is a statistical calculation of variance in the values of a set of numbers. It applies to EP/WP where even values (i.e. a low StdDev) is found to be helpful.

Temperament is an EP/WP factor. Lower numbers for WP where you generally want slow and very relaxed action, and higher values for EP where you want a little more animation in the movements. The values of 60 for EP and 50 WP are thought to be ideal. For myself, I tend to think of anything between 50 and 60 to go either way, 60 and up for EP, 50 and down for WP, with 70 and 40 starting to be a little extreme for either.

The OAT also seems to be a factor in EP/WP. In summary, for EP/WP you want a high OAT and a low StdDev. A high OAT means well developed traits, a low StdDev means even values.

For Cutting, obviously you want good "StockTraits". It appears that the "sky is the limit" in this case. Size is also a pretty well proven factor, with 14h2 generally considered ideal. There are other specific traits that seem to be involved but they are much less understood - feet for instance.

Replies in this thread : 0